01 April 2014

The Cupboard Under The Sink

We don't have a lot of storage space in our kitchen, so every cupboard seems to be crammed with so many things, it's hard to keep it tidy.  The cupboard under the kitchen sink is one cupboard that really annoys me.


I know it's not that bad.  Things are in containers and baskets, but it doesn't look nice and it's annoying that so many things have to be stacked to fit in there.  We live in a rented house, so I can't install shelves, or do anything permanent.  

I started by emptying and cleaning the cupboard.  I carefully took a photo of the empty cupboard, so you could see that broken wall at the back, but then I accidentally deleted the photo!  The first thing to fix was that hideous broken wall.  I've been looking at it for three years.  I bought a two sheets of white foam core from the local craft shop.


I carefully measured and cut the board so that it would fill in the back wall of the cupboard.  Because of the pipes I had to do it in three sections.  You can probably see where I accidentally wrote down a measurement as 6" instead of 9" and cut and extra square out above that pipe!  


The cupboard already looks so much neater.  I bought two sheets of this wrapping paper to line the shelf.


I added a layer of self-adhesive book covering to the paper before I stuck it down with double sided tape.  


I then grabbed a large wooden wine box I got from the local wine shop.  I knocked out the bottom of the box, spray painted it white, added some wrapping paper and popped it in the cupboard.


I was now ready to put everything back in the cupboard.


For a finishing touch I added some labels.


I haven't been able to do anything about those few things stacked in the back of the shelf, but I don't use any of them very often, so it's not a big problem.  I love how much neater this cupboard is now.  I like the fact that two of the most often used tubs (the disposable gloves and dishwasher tablets) are now side-by-side, instead of on top of each other.

Just to finish off, here's my before and after photos.


3 comments:

  1. Great idea. This looks great! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea of using wrapping paper as a shelf liner. Brings a nice touch of colour.

    I'm also a blogger from the UK. Just started out :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alana. It's a really easy way of brightening up a cupboard. Also, given that really nice self-adhesive shelf liners just aren't available in the UK, it's a great affordable alternative.

      Delete