29 July 2013

Dressing up Peanut

Meet Peanut ...


Peanut has been around since I was pregnant with Samantha.  She was Olivia's own little baby, while I was busy trying to manage a toddler as well as a newborn.  Peanut has been loved.  She has been bathed, dressed, undressed, and generally dragged around the house.  Peanut hasn't been played with much lately and I thought she needed a little bit of love.  I found some great ideas for doll clothes here and here.

I started by raiding my fabric stash.  I used a whole bunch of different cotton fabrics, and flannelette.  Peanut needed dresses, nappies (that's diapers to the rest of the world) and (of course) wipes.  I used the brilliant idea from Bee In My Bonnet for tracing and cutting the patterns.  First I worked out my draft pattern, traced it onto a heavy card and cut it out.  I then placed this template onto the wrong side of the patterned fabric and traced around it with a pencil.  I then put the lining fabric underneath and sewed directly onto the pencil line.  When this was done, I trimmed the edges, clipped the curves, turned it out the right way and pressed it.  Velcro and buttons were added last.  Here's the finished wardrobe:






It was a little bit fiddly to sew, simply because the patterns are so small.  There was a lot of careful manoeuvring of the presser foot to get around straps, and it was fiddly to turn out, but the end product was worth it.  The clothes are adorable, and the girls love them.  I think Peanut is happy too!


No comments:

Post a Comment