20 July 2013

Breaking in the Brand New Sewing Machine

Last month bought my very first brand new sewing machine.  My previous sewing machines had been a 1960s Bernina (one of those old black enamel ones in a wooden case) inherited from my Nana, and a ragged old Janome (with all the paint peeling off) that shook the house when I sewed.  This new machine is a step into luxury.  It's shiny, has loads of accessories and is so quiet to sew with.  I love it.  Incase you're interested, it's a Janome 5124.

The first thing I decided to sew on my new machine was an apron that I had created in my head ages ago.  I know everyone out there in blog-land makes aprons, so this is probably a good place to start.  I have been using the same apron for the past 30 years!  It's my high-school, home economics apron.  My mum must have done an amazing job sewing it, because it has stood the test of time.

I tried using my recently learned pattern drafting skills to come up with an apron pattern.  It was rather hit-and-miss and the fit isn't perfect.  This is version number one, and I have tried to perfect the pattern for version number two (which is still in the works).




These aren't the best photographs ever posted on a blog, but they were taken by my 4 year old daughter, using my iPhone.  Not too bad after all.

The fabric is a nice, heavy cotton from Ikea.

I've also been trying to improve my sewing skills lately.  I learnt from my mum, who knows all the shortcuts, and my sewing techniques are more than a little bit suspect!  I taught myself one new technique in making this apron - buttonholes.  I had no idea how straightforward they were.  It probably helps that my new machine came with one of those fancy automatic buttonhole feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment